Do you ever wonder when your dryer vent needs to be cleaned and how to go about it? Watson Brothers Chimney and Vent is here to help. We can provide you with the reasons why your vent could need to be unclogged and the signs to look out for to recognize any potential problems. Our experienced team can provide the best ways to clean your dryer vent and even give you useful tips and tricks to avoid any hazards.
Why Your Dryer Vent Needs to Be Unclogged
Knowing if your dryer vent is clogged is important for your safety. Excess lint can cause dangerous scenarios, including house fires. The heat from the dryer can cause the lint to combust, which is why it is important to be aware that dryer lint should never be burned as it is highly flammable. Unfortunately, this issue is not discussed enough. Watson Brothers Chimney and Vent is here to ensure your safety and inform you on ways to keep your family and home protected from potential dangers caused by clogged dryer vents.
A clogged dryer vent can cause numerous other issues, such as pests entering your home and even breakdowns. The buildup of lint can push open the outside laundry flap and create an entryway for rodents and pests. The overheating caused by the lint can also cause your dryer to break down, resulting in costly repairs or a replacement. Your dryer vent may also be affecting the air quality in your home, which you may not even realize. Fortunately, there are several signs that can indicate when your dryer vent is clogged and needs to be cleaned or unclogged.
Signs Your Dryer Vent Is Clogged
According to CED Technologies, dryer vents are the leading cause of house fires. There are many warning signs to be aware of to make sure you have a safe and functional dryer. If you experience any of these warning signs, it is time to get your dryer vent cleaned.
1. Longer Drying Times: One of the most obvious signs that your dryer vent may be clogged is if your clothes are taking longer to dry than usual. When the dryer vent is clogged, the air has to travel through a longer, more restricted pathway, so it can take longer to dry your clothes.
2. Excess Lint: Another sign that your dryer vent may be clogged is if there is a buildup of lint around the dryer vent opening. If the lint is unable to escape the vent, it will accumulate on the outside of the vent. Cleaning the lint away periodically can help reduce the likelihood of clogging.
3. Hotter Air: Clogged dryer vents can also cause the air coming out of the dryer to be hotter than usual. This is because the hot air is unable to escape the dryer vent, which can cause the dryer to overheat.
4. Burning Smell: If you notice a burning smell coming from the dryer, this can be a sign that the dryer vent is clogged. The smell is usually caused by lint that has been heated to the point that it is beginning to smoke.
5. Unusual Noises: If you hear unusual noises coming from the dryer, this can also indicate that the dryer vent is clogged. The noises are usually caused by the dryer struggling to push air through the clogged vent.
The Best Ways to Unclog Your Dryer Vent
To start cleaning a dryer vent, make sure to wear safety gloves. First, you'll need to disconnect the dryer duct and move the dryer away from the wall with a screwdriver. A vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment is the best way to clean out the inside of the back of the dryer, while a brush helps make sure you get all the lint. After you're done cleaning, you'll need to reconnect the dryer, which can be made easier with a dryer vent kit. If you want to make sure the job is done safely and quickly, it's best to contact your local service, Watson Brothers Chimney and Vent, for help from professionals with trained experience.
Preventative measures can be taken as well to reduce the amount of lint collected in your dryer. To reduce the lint in your dryer, it's important to keep the area around it clean. Make sure to sweep the surrounding area of your dryer on a regular basis. Additionally, get in the habit of removing the lint from your trap filter before each cycle and regularly cleaning the trap filter and lint screen. To prevent dust from forming, you can use air purifiers and air filters to ensure there isn't a buildup of dust near your dryer. This can help to avoid the problem of a clogged dryer vent.
How Watson Brothers Chimney and Vent Can Help!
At Watson Brothers Chimney and Vent, we prioritize safety for you and your family. As your local chimney and vent servicing company, we're here to take care of all your chimney and vent needs. Our specialties include chimney and dryer cleaning, repairs, and inspections - all conducted with the utmost focus on your safety and wellbeing. Contact us today to learn more about how we can assist you!